Corey A. Lord
Founder/Owner of CAL Sports Academy
Internationally acclaimed athlete Corey A. Lord began his athletic career as a star soccer player and track and field champion in his native country of Barbados, which he represented throughout his elementary and high school years in the youth division of the CARIFTA Games. After moving to the United States, he set and still holds the New York State High School Track Class record as a sophomore in the 500-meter. He also set and retains the 200-meter record for his alma mater, Alfred State College, where he competed in the NJCAA National Indoor and Outdoor Championships in 1994.
Coach Corey began sharing his passion for sports in 1998 as a youth basketball coach for the North Penn YMCA, where his talent was quickly recognized. Due to popular demand, Coach Corey spent several years developing and expanding the YMCA’s youth athletic programs, including the Building Champs Basketball Program, which Coach Corey founded to give at-risk and low-income youth an opportunity to learn the fundamentals of sports.
His success at the YMCA and his desire to help young athletes develop to their fullest potential led Coach Corey to found CAL Sports Academy in 2006. Initially run through the YMCA, CAL Sports Academy now serves in multiple locations throughout the Montgomery and Bucks Counties in Pennsylvania with year-round Sports Development programs, clinics, leagues, camps, AAU basketball teams, Club Volleyball teams, private training, and special events.
In addition to launching CAL in 2006, Coach Corey also joined Gwynedd Mercy University as an assistant head men’s basketball coach and played a key role in Gwynedd’s 2009 Colonial States Athletic Conference League Championship and first round bid to the NCAA tournament. While at Gwynedd, Coach Corey began sharing motivational presentations for high school and college athletes stressing the importance of education and providing insight on how to successfully balance academics and athletics.
Coach Corey gave a motivational message on November 2nd, 2015 at Christopher Dock Mennonite High School in Lansdale, Pa. “Time + Effort = Results. My friends, don’t look for the easiest way out, there aren’t any. Stop waiting for tomorrow, tomorrow never comes, it’s today that counts, this very moment. The time you put into anything in your life with effort is your results.” In addition to that memorable message, Coach Corey has had many other motivational speaking engagements. On July 31, 2016 ,Corey gave a motivational speech and ran a fitness workout at McGuire Air Force Base Ft. Dix- Lakehurst, NJ. In 2013 and 2014, Corey gave motivational speeches at Walton Farm Elementary and West Chester University respectively.
Now a highly sought-after motivational speaker and personal coach, Corey brings all his energy, enthusiasm, passion, and experience to CAL Sports Academy, where every program is intended to empower youth to build strength, confidence, courage, and a strong sense of community. Coach Corey inspires players through his passion for teaching that allows players to discover their abilities and define their own “Strength Through Sports”. It takes: Determination, Commitment, Strength, Motivation, and Teamwork to be successful in anything you do and Coach Corey makes sure this is in his players and coaches every day of the year.
At CAL Sports Academy, Coach Corey has provided high-level training to athletes of all ages and skill levels. In 2011, his 5th Grade Boys AAU Team qualified and competed at Nationals in Detroit, Michigan. Coach Corey also took two basketball players to the 2012 NBA Fit Dribble Dish and Swish competition in Orlando, Florida where his players finished as the Champion and Runner-Up in their age groups. In 2013, his 5th Grade Girls AAU Basketball Team qualified for Nationals in Tennessee. In 2014, his AAU Boys Basketball program excelled throughout the season with several tournament championships. In 2016 his 5th Grade Boys AAU Team qualified and competed at the Nationals in Hampton Virginia. The following year in 2017 his 6th Grade Boys AAU Team qualified and competed at Nationals in Hampton Virginia. His 7th Grade Boys AAU Team also qualified and competed at Nationals in Greensboro, North Carolina.
Through his training programs, Coach Corey and the CAL Sports Academy staff have successfully trained athletes to make their Junior Varsity and Varsity school teams and several players are moving on to play in college.
As a reward to the hard work and dedication to his craft, CAL Sports Academy is experiencing exponential growth in bringing sports training to youth in the area.
2022 Accomplishments and Certifications
- Referee PIAA State game in Bethlehem PA Liberty High School
- Returning Guest Speaker at Ursinus College
- Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Business Alumni
2021 Accomplishments and Certifications
- Court Club Elite Guest Speaker
- Guest Speaker Engagement at Ursinus College
2019 Accomplishments and Certifications
- Court Club Elite Referee Camp
- 2019 USA Basketball Gold Coaches License
- CYO Clinics
- Hosted Jr NBA Skills Challenge local competition for the local community at CAL Sorts Academy.
2017 & 2018 Accomplishments and Certifications
- 2018 Mid-Atlantic AAU Banquet Dinner (Jared Martin received $5000 scholarship)
- CYO Coaches Clinic
- Distinguished Alumni Award presented by Gwynedd Mercy University Alumni Association
- CAL Sports Academy received an award from the Jr. NBA and Corey were invited to attend the Jr. NBA Leadership Conference in Chicago
- Gatorade NBA Combine Coach at the Riverwinds training center in Deptford NJ.
- Guest speaker on the partner panel in New York, NY at the Brooklyn Nets HSS Training Facility.
- Certified Basketball License Referee
- Jr NBA Skills Challenge Regional Official coach in Washington DC
- USA Basketball coaches license
2016 Accomplishments and Certifications
- Hosted Jr NBA Skills Challenge local competition for the local community at CAL Sports Academy.
2015 Accomplishments and Certifications
- USA Basketball Coaches License
2014 Accomplishments and Certifications
- Attended Nike Coaches Clinic
- Evaluated players for college recruitment opportunities at the Keystone State Basketball Camp
2013 Accomplishments and Certifications
- Motivational speaking engagement at Walton Farm Elementary
DETERMINATION, MOTIVATION, STRENGTH, COMMITMENT, TEAMWORK….
MAKE A CAL SPORTS ACADEMY PLAYER SUCCEED!